- Southeast Asian politics – Malaysia, Indonesia, Myanmar/Burma, Brunei, Timor L’este, Thailand & Singapore
- Comparative politics – state formation, democracy, freedom, elections, human rights, party politics, political attitudes and political culture, conflict and violence, Islam and Democracy
- Gender politics – gender participation, rights and gender equality
- International relations – ASEAN, US/Southeast Asia relations, aid flows, transnational challenges and humanitarian responses
CONTEMPORARY RESEARCH PROJECTS:
- Regime Support in Southeast Asia
- Democratic Citizenship and Youth in Southeast Asia
- Political Attitudes and Electoral Behavior in Malaysia
- Leadership and Political Institutions in Southeast Asia
- Women’s Participation in Politics in Southeast Asia
- Political Islam and Democracy
- Contested Internet Freedom and Democracy in Southeast Asia
PUBLIC OPINION RESEARCH:
2016, The End of UMNO?: Essays on Malaysia’s dominant party. (Malaysia: Petaling Jaya)
2014, Bangkit: Tempoh Pent Adbiran Abdullah Badawi di Malaysia. (co-edited with James Chin)
2013, Awakening: The Abdullah Badawi Years in Malaysia (co-edited with James Chin). (Kuala Lumpur: SIRD)
2012, Democracy TakeOff? The Habibie Period (co-edited with Dewi Fortuna Anwar). (Jakarta: Sinar Harapan)
2012, Penang in Numbers. (co-authored with Ramesh Chander). (Penang: UPEN- Penang Institute)
2009, Impressions of the Goh Chok Tong Years in Singapore. (Co-edited with James Chin, Arun Mahizhnan & Tan Tarn How) (Singapore: National University Press)
2008, A Legacy of Engagement in Southeast Asia. (Co-edited with Ann Marie Murphy). (Singapore: ISEAS)
2004, Reflections: The Mahathir Years. (Washington, DC: Johns Hopkins University-SAIS)
SELECTED CHAPTERS AND ARTICLES
2016, “So Close, but Yet So Far: Public Perceptions of ASEAN”, (with Kai-Ping Huang) ASEAN Briefs. Vol 3, Issue 6, (August).
2016, “Political Identities, Engagement and Voting in Singapore’s 2015 Election” in Terence Lee and Kevin YL Tan, Change in Voting: Singapore’s 2015 General Election (Singapore: Ethos), pp. 191-219.
2016, “Clientelism and Control: The PAP’s Fight for Safety” Round Table. Online Publication March 16, 2016.
2015. “Elections in Malaysia: voting behavior and electoral integrity,” in Meredith L. Weiss (ed.), Routledge Handbook of Contemporary Malaysia. (London: Routledge Press)
2015, “Millennials and East Asia’s Democratic Future,” (with Yun-han Chu) Journal of Democracy, Vol. 26, No. 2, April, pp.151-64
2015, “Choosing China: public perceptions of choosing ‘China as a model’,” (co-authored with Alex Chang). Journal of Contemporary China.
2014, Youth and Democratic Citizenship in East and South-East Asia: Exploring political attitudes of East and South-East Asian youth through the Asian Barometer Survey. Reported prepared for UNDP Asia-Pacific Regional Centre and Asian Barometer.
2013, “Malaysia’s: A Step Backward,” Journal of Democracy. Volume 24/2 (October), pp. 136-150.
2013, “Trauma and Triumphalism in Malaysia,” Current History. September 2013. Vol. 112.
2013, “Congruence and Variation in Sources of Regime Support in Asia,” (coauthored with Alex Chang and Yun-han Chu). Taiwan Journal of Democracy, Volume 9, No. 1 (July), pp. 221-237.
2013, “Southeast Asia: Sources of Regime Support,” Journal of Democracy. Volume 24/2 (April), pp. 150-164.
2011, “Does Difference Matter: Particular and National Identities in Singapore’s 2011 General Election,” in Kelvin YL Tan and Terence Lee (eds.). Voting in Change: Politics of Singapore’s 2011 General Election. (Singapore, Ethos Books)
2010, “Mobbing in Indonesia: in Ashutosh Varshney (ed.) Collective Violence in Indonesia. (Boulder, Co: Lynne Rienner Press)
2008. “Muslim Professional Associations and Politics in Southeast Asia,” NBR Analysis. Volume 18/2 (March), pp. 35-51.
2006, Malaysia’s Sarawak State Elections 2006: Understanding a Break in the BN Armor. Report prepared for the National Democratic Institute, Washington, DC.